Last night I was researching on places to go around huangshan and it somehow became 2.30am, and yilei was awake too so we ordered 外卖 (i.e. delivery) pizza which came at 3am. Delivery in china is amazing.
Anyway quick post so I can sleep early tonight! Last last weekend was a long weekend cos of 端午节, I went to 乌镇 (an old water town) with my class on friday but came back on my own at night cos I didn’t want to stay over. Wuzhen was quite meh for me.. it didn’t have the legit old town feel, wasn’t particularly pretty and was SUPER CROWDED cos of the public holiday. And I don’t like travelling in big groups cos I get annoyed when some people walk v slowly/ get lost/ are late and in general making decisions is soo inefficient. My parents always tell me that I need to have more situational awareness but I think I’m pretty good already, compared to some people that I’ve been travelling with hahaha.
Anyway the next few days were spent with my family :D I moved to their hotel and basically had a holiday-within-a-holiday, felt good to go around with them and not have to make my own decisions all the time x) we went to some places which I probably wouldn’t have gone to with my friends like 灵隐寺 and 西溪湿地, and tried to take step photos with my sis:
On tues I brought them to climb 将军山, a hill beside the yuquan campus but it was super hot that day so not as enjoyable as the first time I went there. But I love the on-top-of-the-world feeling there!! Will definitely go climb the hills there on a nicer day and bring my camera cos I haven’t taken nice photos from up there yet. Uhmm in the afternoon they left and I went for class :’(
Some other things I did in the past 2 weeks:
– there was one day with very nice weather and I didn’t have any plans to go out but I decided I shouldn’t waste such nice weather staying in my room the whole day, so I just went out and walked around school (it’s huge, I haven’t seen the whole campus yet). And I found a nice place to sit and do my urban sketching!
– visited the hangzhou grand canal (longest manmade canal in the world, it goes all the way to beijing wow) and the museums near it
– frisbee training, after which we ran around the lake in school. It’s a really nice route! And we saw a guy feeding ducklings hehe
– watched finding dory with frisbee people, it was v funny!! and baby dory so cute LOL
– attended the product launch presentation for a ZJU course that’s similar to our design one, and was amazed by how professional it was. All the slides and videos super nice and the transitions and stuff were v smooth and well-rehearsed! Apparently the purpose of us attending this is to set the standard for our own project presentation at the end of the course :O it’s gonna be shag but good to learn
– cardiovascular engineering exam and presentation – the exam was open book and in english so very doable for us (just ctrl+F any key words you don’t know hahaha). My group’s presentation topic is Underwater Hemodynamics which was actually really interesting to research on. Did you know: when your face is in contact with cold water, sth called the Mammalian Diving Reflex kicks in, resulting in 1. lower heart rate and 2. constriction of blood vessels in the extremities/limbs, to conserve oxygen for your vital organs.
– dragged weijun and yilei with me to climb yuquan mountains again, but we went further this time. We spent around 2h going to 北高峰, the walk was unexpectedly tiring (lots of stairs) but cool cos we were walking on the ridge line most of the way. The view at 北高峰 was really niceee, top of the world feeling x100 haha I wanna go see sunrise/ sunset/ city lights at night from there next time. Anyway we reached the peak at around 5 and our timing happened to be just nice to take the one of the last few cable cars down then go for dinner at 弄堂里 :D
– went to try an escape room near school, the use of technology was v impressive compared to the one I went to in sg. They use a lot of sensors so once you do something correctly some music/recording will play, something will light up and the door will automatically open. Plus it was a few rooms joined together and you have to move around quite a bit (one of the rooms was a 2-storey maze, on the lower level you have to crawl/duckwalk to move around). V sian that we didn’t manage to escape even though we asked for help D: partly because some of the chinese recordings/ text was hard for us to understand lol.
– planning for huangshan trip next week woohoo I’m so excited!!! Let us have good weather plssss so I can try astrophotography :DD
Oh ya and the title of this post. My group’s prof is back from beijing = need to legitly start doing work and update him on our progress every week. But it’s fun cos I’m learning how to make android apps! The istd people in my group are all not very experienced programmers so we don’t know how to do a lot of things but nvm we’ll figure it out along the way.