my prettiest cake ever :DD made together with tiff for reudi’s birthday!
Decided to try baking a red velvet cake for jolene’s birthday! I don’t actually know what red velvet is supposed to taste like haha but I just tried out this recipe. It wasn’t as chocolately as I’d expected (although I already added more cocoa powder) but it tasted interesting and texture was v good :D
Didn’t manage to get a nice photo cos I was rushing to leave home D: and no photo of the inside of the cake also but meh it wasn’t very red anyway whoops. But overall I think this is the prettiest cake I’ve ever made (also the one I spent the longest decorating so I’m glad it turned out well)! Happy birthday jofats hope you liked it :))
Training was normal except jacknives were particularly bad, did backlay and barani and it felt about the same as before the long break? So yeah overall not bad except I sprained my ankle not even doing anything but just while I was bouncing off to the side of the tramp after jumping -____- reudi ran all the way to pe dept to get ice omg stupid boy! And it was v funny how everyone crowded around to avoid jumping and jiaolian ordered dawn to 安慰 me HAHAHA
Two of my friends turned 17 over the past few days and I volunteered to bake their birthday cakes!
I only had one afternoon for bella’s cake so I wanted to make something easy and safe = a brownie cake! ie. a brownie baked in a round cake tin. I was going to make frosting but I kind of forgot and made a spiral “decoration” with the peanut butter instead, so I decided to abandon the frosting x) oh and I used the peanut butter snickers recipe again! Made 1.5x the recipe so it wouldn’t be too thin in the round tin.
And of course yesterday was cecilia’s bday! I’m very proud of my card + cake so gonna spam pictures of them hehe
And now for the cake! Tiff came to my house and we bought Turkey lemons hahahaha. Anyway we made an ombre lemon pound cake with lemon cream cheese frosting (click for the respective recipes/ omg what a long name). For the four layer cake we had to make double the cake recipe, and we were scared that one batch of frosting wouldn’t be enough but it was just nice!
Making ombre (colour gradient) layers is quite fun! We left the top layer just natural yellow, then added increasing amounts of red food colouring to the other layers x)
Yay success!! The layers slid a little but we stuck toothpicks in and solved the problem. And the cake layers by themselves were quite tasteless/ tasted a bit weird but the frosting was yummy and covered up for the lack of taste of the cake xD
And now I’m in charge of baking my grandfather’s birthday cake too hahaha
I got a pack of those cool muffin cups from phoon huat and couldn’t wait to use them so I decided to adapt a no-bake jelly cheesecake recipe to make cheesecake cups. This is my first original recipe! Though actually it’s more of a mash-up of a few recipes (one two three) that I mixed together and tweaked a little so the amounts would match.
I wanted a crunchy ish base so I baked the base blind, but if you don’t want to, just leave it in the fridge while making the cheesecake layer!
Pressing the bases down individually is quite tedious but everything else is pretty easy.
Orange jelly cheesecake cups
120g digestive biscuits
50g butter, melted
375g cream cheese, left at room temperature
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
200ml whipping cream
2 tbsp boiling water
2 tsp gelatine powder
1 pack of Tortally jelly crystals, orange flavour (or 85g jelly crystals)
2 tangarines for decoration (optional)
Zest of 1 medium lemon (about 1.5 tsp)
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/ gas mark 4
2. Crush the digestives in a food processor or by hand (place the biscuits in a Ziploc bag and crush them with a rolling pin)
3. Combine biscuit crumbs and butter in a medium bowl
4. Scoop biscuit mixture into the cups (approx 1.5cm high) and press firmly into the base of each cup
5. Bake for 20min then leave to cool
1. Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest until smooth, then gradually beat in cream
2. Place water in a small bowl, sprinkle gelatine over and mix in with a fork until gelatine is dissolved
3. Beat gelatine into filling until combined
4. Pour filling over base and press in tangerine slices (choose those without seeds)
5. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set
1. Make jelly following packet directions. For Tortally jelly, dissolve crystals in 150ml hot water, then add in 150ml cold water
2. Refrigerate until jelly is cooled (alternatively, use less cold water and add a few ice cubes to cool the mixture)
3. Pour jelly over cheesecake and refrigerate for a further 3 hours or until jelly is set
Serve straight from the fridge. Alternatively, keep them in the freezer and they will stay solid for at least 3 hours after taking them out.